Friday, June 27, 2008

Meaning of Life

Well, its been a long time since I last posted on my blog , but the loss of momentum was an aberration. Now after a long time when I have internet and some time at my disposal the first creative (??) thing I do is to create this blog.

My today's amusing musings are about 'meaning of life'. I know its a very philosophical topic and one that will not interest a lot of people out there , but I am still publishing this because intent of this blog's life , if I choose to put it that way, is different from the that of some of other blog articles. Now most lives have some intent but not all lives have meaning. Having said that, meaning of 'meaning' differs from people to people. If you did not understand the meaning of this line , don't worry even I am trying to figure it out. The question may prop up , how do you not know the meaning of something that you yourself have written. Well , this is how , sometimes, things are. You are into something without knowing a lot about it. This perhaps is the best example to demonstrate the fact that one lives on a life, which one knows has some meaning or other but is still unaware of.

I don't know what's the meaning or purpose of my life? I don't comprehend the adage 'Purpose of life is a life of purpose'. My question is what purpose?? I think, a lot (you may also read between the lines by reading the last group of words as 'I think a lot' instead of 'I think, a lot'! anyway continuing ...) of us don't know what exactly is the goal or meaning or purpose of our life is. We all need to discover that sooner or later and sooner the better. We , as per Darwin's theory of evolution , have come from the race of monkeys and hence we still have their tendacy of imitating what other's are doing. And hence , most of the times , it is seen that people just follow what is seen as the best path , best because of its virtue of being travelled most frequently, without considering its relevance to them and their lives.

We all are different and have different constraints. Even in this era of mass production , one size fit all approach does not fit a lot of things , but we use the same in our lives. Everyone is spending a lot on mobile phones, hence I need to. All my colleagues work overtime hence I shall as well. All my friends are in a relationship I also need to get involved with someone. All my freinds are going abroad on office assignments, I must talk to my boss. Everyone is moving to a big city hence I need to move as well. This is how most of us tend to think. If we don't do what is perceived as the best thing then we lag behind. But is there really a race?? If yes , what are we racing for?? If its a race then there can be only one winner and rest all will lose out, does it really happen in life that way? I guess No! I think life is not a race, its a journey, where in some parts one needs to move fast and in some parts slow. A part of it is surely a race , but then there are so many parts and hence there are so many winners in life. Every loser gets another chance most of the times. So why this rush? Why this peer pressure?

Having said all this, even I must admit that I am acted upon by peer pressure. But I am trying to not get affected by it. I reckon, one must find the meaning of life so that he doesnot get affected by peer pressure. If I know that I write this blog just because I want to record my thoughts and let others have a chance to have a look at them, if they wish so, then I shall be least bothered about whether the reader likes the thoughts, or absolutely detests the author on account of his views. But if the peer pressure acts on me then I must ensure that I write in a way that shall make reading of this blog a pleasurable experience for most of the people.

At this moment, I know the meaning of this blog is to record my thoughts, nevertheless, I shall be happy if I end up giving the reader some food for thought, and maybe some reading pleasure!

No comments: