Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ad-vice

I was just wondering how people make money through blogs. I thought, maybe I am good enough blogger as well to attract enough traffic to my blog and then make money through adsense. But gave up that idea because a friend (The great Lara) advised me to delay it as it shall fetch me more money if I delayed it till the 'hit rate' of my blogged touched a century mark. So I decided to write about ads vices and advices.

Well, my favourite ad off late was the one for IPL - 'Ranjan and Mano , kab aaega tumhara baap?' one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHByZLDbPiw . I just loved the creativity. Its modelled on 1970's hindi movie theme and was an all or nothing kind of an ad. I also appreciate the vodafone ads but then they are kind of safer ads. As in they use some cute dog or little girls in their ads so such ads are going to be hits anyhow. What I liked about this IPL ad was the level of detail to which it was similar to a film. Each and every second of it has a lot of depth, as far as I think. I think, it takes a creative genius to make such a great ad.

About vices, I wish I shall show the virtuosity not to discuss my vices in public. Nevertheless people are welcome to point out my vices by means of their comments and I shall be happy to moderate some comments if they require that kind of a treatment.

Let me come to the real topic as far as today's 'creative nonsense' is concerned. Well, Advice is perhaps the most abudantly available entity in this world. (If not world, then at least in India - which by the way means the world to me). You shall find each and everyone having an advice to offer you in addition to their opinions. Even the great Sachin Tendulkar gets a lot of advices on how to go about batting, from people who are as knowlegeable about the cricket bat , ball and the behaviour of the pitch as they are about the ' various kinds of folk dances practiced by the tribals in sub-saharanwi desert region in the prehistoric epochs'. My advice to you about advice, in general , will be not add to the supply of the already abundantly and freely available entity , unless it is seeked. This statement in itself defeats its own purpose but then it would not have been advisable not to give any advice in an article about advice.

I shall not try to put all my experiences (good as well as not so good) with advices over here. But then some masterpieces deserve a mention over here. Once , a friend of mine was adviced not to buy a laptop with higher HDD capacity because it increases the risk of virus attacks! Reason sighted was - more the disk space more space for viruses just like the amount of dust in your house increases with the area of your house similarly the threat of viruses also increases the same way. We have adviced that friend of ours to nominate himself for the next Nobel prize for breakthrough in computational logic ( I know it does not exist)! So such are advices. Please ensure that you listen to only the advice from good people and sometimes even good people tend to give bad advice. So it is expected that you take your decisions based on your own judgement. Advice can and should always be seeked but then the final call of whether or not to make use of it depends on you! Be responsible for your own decisions and don't complain later . (See it was your decision to read upto this point, now even if you feel that it was a mistake reading the blog this far, you should take it as a learning experience).

The bottomline is I dont offer free advice - I charge my fees !

No comments: